Arendal is from the days of sailing ships known as the city of “de tvende fyr”(two lighthouses) Store and Lille(Large and little) Torungen was created as twin lighthouses on each islet in the entrance to the city in 1844. Lille Torungen was discontinued in 1914, while Store Torungen was upgraded to a modern lighthouse with new towers that year. Store Torungen was not automated until 80 years later in 2004. The old brick tower from 1844 on Lille Torungen is preserved, the same applies to cast iron tower from 1914, and several of the buildings on Store Torung. NCA rents both lighthouses to the Foundation Torungen fyr who runs these in collaboration with Aust-Agder Tourism Association.